- Argento has secured sustainable forestry leases of 50 years on 312,465 hectares in Northern Mozambique.
- This makes Argento one of the largest forestry operators in Mozambique and globally
- Natural forest - high density, hardwood species
- Argento is now moving from asset building to the monetization of these assets. Argento’s forestry concessions assets have been independently valued at $308m (Honour Capital Report 2014)
- Argento started Mozambique operations in 2011, producing timber for local markets, predominantly sleepers for major railway projects, with no outlet to international markets.
- An export partnership was signed in March 2016 with Basic Material Limited, Hong Kong, to open up international markets. International demand significantly outstrips our capacity.
- The first exports started August 2016 destined for Germany, Thailand, Vietnam, South Africa, Denmark and Mauritius.
- Significant upgrades at Nacala port means we can ship over 100 containers of timber per week. Further port infrastructure expansion through to 2020 is planned.
- Non dilutive finance was raised against a small percentage of Forestry income stream, enabling the group to kick-start production and remain debt free.
- Capex raised since Feb 2016 has created a timber platform with a production capacity of around 400 cubic meters per month
- When fully operational annual production of sawn timber is expected to be 2,000m3 per month (60 percent of the annual permitted cut)
Forest Management Team.
Head of Forestry. Patrick has extensive forestry experience, across Africa and the Baltic states, from grassroots to the conclusion of projects. Patrick has valuable marketing experience, from working for Scandinavian Design APS, one of the world’s biggest wooden garden furniture producers. Patrick is British and has a military background.
Logistics Manager. Claus has 41 years experience in shipping and logistics, 38 of which were Africa based, in positions from Operations Manager to Country Manager. Claus has worked several times in Mozambique since 1987. Claus has an exceptional knowledge of all Mozambique ports and landside operations (rail and road), including deep relationships with Nacala port officials.
Production Manager. Miguel is one of the most knowledgeable foresters in Mozambique, specialising in the harvesting and processing of tropical hardwoods. He has been part of Argento since its inception in Mozambique 5 years ago. Miguel has excellent working relationships with local officials and communities.
Logging Manager. Jorge has over 30 years experience in Mozambique working with tropical hardwoods. He previously worked for Madell Timber for 18 years as Production Manager and has experience leading a forestry project in Angola. Jorge joined Argento three years ago and has built an experienced logging team and training program. He is very popular with the local communities.